Flu Fighter Smoothie

Flu Fighter Smoothie
Photo/Dale Gillard
Flu season is upon us, and I signed up for the free shot again this year. A lot of of my coworkers decided to forgo the shot, so I am surrounded by sniffling, sneezing, coughing people. I went looking for an immune booster and found this recipe in the 2003 version of Pat Crocker's The Smoothies Bible.  A newer version was released just this year, and I am looking forward to getting my hands on it.  Smoothies are a terrific way to start the day, and I am all the more motivated knowing that I am doing something good for my body.

Flu Fighter Smoothie

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup orange juice                              125 mL
  • 1/3 cup lemon juice                                 75 mL
  • 1/2 cup elderberries                               125 mL
  • 1/4 cup cranberry sauce                          50 mL
  • 2 tbsp black currant jelly or liquid honey    25 mL

Preparation
In blender, combine orange juice, lemon juice, elderberries, cranberry sauce, and black currant jelly.  Process as directed until smooth. This recipe serves 2.

General Directions
Always place the lid securely on the blender before processing. Blend on Low for 30 seconds. Gradually (if possible) increase speed to High and blend an additional 30 seconds until smooth.